- 4 fillets pollock or tilapia
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup fish fry mix
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoons ground walnuts
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Season fillets with salt and pepper. Dust with 1/3 cup of flour.
- Beat buttermilk and egg in a dipping bowl. Combine remaining flour, cornmeal, fish fry flour, ground walnuts, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda in another dipping bowl. Dip all flour-dusted fillets into egg mixture, then into seasoned flour mixture.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan or deep fryer. Fry fillets, until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Season again with salt as soon as your take them out of the pan or fryer. Dry on rack over paper towels.